8th November 2012
Hebrews 10: 19-25 (NIV) “Since we have … Let us”
I. OUR CONSCIOUS POSSESSIONS
* The Privilege of Access to the Heart of God (19-20) “Since we have confidence to enter by the blood of Jesus”. The Cross - access to God. In Old Testament days the sanctuary and priesthood were hedged by restrictions. When Jesus died, “the Temple Curtain was torn from top to bottom” (Mark 15:38). No longer “Enter not” but “Enter in”. The blood of Christ gives us free access to God (Eph 2:18; 3:12; Rom 5:2). Not now the pain of death, but “the promise of life in Christ Jesus” (II Timothy 1:1).
* The Priesthood of Jesus as the Son of God (21) “Since we have a great priest”. See I Tim 2:5 “One God and one mediator, Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all”. Both Priest and Sacrifice. “He entered by his own blood” (Hebs 9:12; 13:12).
2. OUR CONTINUING OBLIGATIONS
* The heart of daily Christian Living. Not spasmodic actions but a sustained attitude. Three Christian graces: assurance of faith, profession of hope, stimulus of love (I Cor 13:13; Col 1:4-5; I Thess 1:3).
* How Daily Discipleship will be evident (Some say “Lettuce leaves”)
- “Let us draw near with assured faith” (22). An open access to God!
- “Let us hold unswervingly to our professed hope” (23) - not our casual idea of hope but based on the faithful Promiser, so often mentioned.
- “Let us consider how to spur one another on to love” (24). “Consider Jesus” - developed in ch 3:1-6. Also consider one another by:
* Love (24) - the badge of discipleship (John 13:34-35).
* Good Deeds (24). Our salvation is not by works but is evidenced in doing the good works prepared by God for us (Eph 2:9-10).
* Fellowship (25). “Let us not give up meeting together as some do” As today too! Practice the priorities of worship and fellowship
* Encouragement (25). “Let us encourage one another, all the more as you see the Day approaching”. Our Lord’s coming again is a spur to our loyalty now. We shall all answer for ourselves (II Cor 5:10 and Rom 14:10). Don’t be ashamed (I John 2:28) but keep “growing in grace” (II Peter 3:14 and 18).
A FINE PERSONAL CHECK-UP FOR CHURCH MEMBERSHIP:
How is faith, hope, love, daily actions, worship, fellowship, encouragement “ as you see the DAY approaching” (25).
Pray through it all - and live it out!